Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Have a pup? If not, borrow one! Get out and burn those calories for the both of you!

AWWW, He is sooo cute!  Our family has had three pups and sadly, Bear and Dodger have gone to doggie heaven, but we still have Teddy, our Yorkie:). It is so amazing with pets, it doesn't take much to please them. I also noticed that whenever I would put my shoes to go for a run, Bear and Dodger would get SO excited, because they knew that they were going to take a walk when I came home!  And now.. Teddy goes crazy! lol.  I almost feel bad not walking him first and then go for a run,   because he is soo excited and I feel like I am breaking his heart.

I usually take Teddy for a little walk after my run, and it is good for the both of us.  For me, it is good because I can "cool" down and walk it out after my run.  But the other day, I was thinking, okay.. I know that I burn about 80 calories per mile when I run, so when I walk Teddy for about 20 minutes, that is about a mile (he stops at every bush, lol)... so maybe I burn about 60-80?  Have to use my Nike Chip to find out.. 
But I realized, a pound is 3,600 calories of energy, right? So if you were to walk EVERY DAY, 30 days x 80 calories - 2400 calories burnt..  and if you were to not drink maybe one glass of pop, that extra handful of chips, extra scoop of icecream, etc..  that would be about a minimum of a deficit of 100 calories per day x 30 = 3,000, geeze! That is a total deficit of 5400 calories!!  

WOW! It is so amazing what can happen when you keep track of what you are putting into your mouth, it adds up!  So get out there, it is good for you and your pup!  They will love you and they need it too!  The best is after dinner, because who likes being full, and then headed for the couch?  NOT I SAID THE FLY! 
Even if you walked your pup 10 minutes in the morning and 10 at night, same difference!  If you don't have a pup, I bet that your neighbor would be soo happy if you would volunteer to take their little bundle of joy for a walk! So get out there!



I can't wait to hear about how you did! Just a little effort every day goes a long way and forms good habits :).  Great for the family too!  View it, pass it on, and let's get healthy!

 

No comments: