Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Let's Begin Our Journey


Today is the first day of our journey on our challenge to become fit and healthy! Even if running isn't your bag , that is okay.  Let's find something else that you love to do:)   Exercise has to be FUN or you just won't do it!  You have to think, this is my "20 minutes" or "hour",  this time is reserved for me!  

First, you need to decide WHEN you are going to "treat" yourself :), get your calendar and SCHEDULE it!  If you have a neighbor who wants to join you, than more power to you.  Trust me, there are days when I don't want to get out there, but I know that I will feel much better when I do. 

Did you know that when I was training for my Marathon, I read that peeps don't have an issue with training and increasing their mileage, it is the "getting out the door" syndrome.  Like, you know, I will just put one more load of laundry in, cut the grass, vacuum,. Guess what peeps?  IT WILL ALL BE THERE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK,  IT ISN"T GOING ANYWHERE! BUT YOU ARE! :))) 

Secondly, let's talk about your gear..  running and exercising is pretty simple and doesn't require a big investment.  However, I do highly recommend a good pair of running shoes and the Nike Plus Chip as shown above.  If you have an Ipod, Itouch, or IPhone (the 3G is not compatable), YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS CHIP!  It is only 28.00 (see the Amazon ad below).  You put the chip into any pair of Nike Plus shoes and you are good to go.  If you do not wear Nike, , you can purchase a lace lid. (See the ad). I cannot run without this! 

You can tell the program what your goal is; calories, distance, time, etc.  Then while you are running, it will talk to you. When you are finished, the program will tell you your distance, calories burnt, average mile, and total time.  Once you download the info on line, you keep track of your progress.. and it is soo cool!  So far, I have burnt 30,000 calories and have ran across the country 1/2 way since I have my chip. Pretty amazing! You can also compete against other people in challenges, it gives you motivation. 

Okay, so you have your "appointment" with yourself and the road, gym, or your preference of exercise.  You also have your shoes, Nike Chip, and gear,,,  So, let's get going!  IF you are TOTALLY new to exercise, let's take it slow so you won't over do it.  With running, let's start and have a goal of running and walking up to 2 miles.  Once you can run the entire 2 miles without walking, then you are ready to increase your mileage. 


A good rule of thumb to help prevent injuries is to never increase your mileage more than 10%.  Unless, you are training :).. 


Let's hit it!  Don't forget to reward yourself, by putting a sticker, star, or happy face on your calendar..  no matter what you do, give yourself a pat on the back.. because you did it! 


If you would like to take our smoking cessation, weight manangement, or nutrition classes, make check out our www.faceboook.com/LaserPointHealthServices or talk to me and I will share more with you.  Follow me on Twitter!


Post on FB how you did!!!  Now go out and burn some rubber!

No comments: